Monday, November 19, 2007

Pork

I buy pork loins from Sam's Club. Yes, I have to buy 6 lbs. at a time, but I feel it is worth it. They are boneless, and a good, tender meat and are usually much cheaper than pork loin at Wal-Mart or elsewhere which makes it justifiable that I cut my own pork steaks. Actually, also at Sam's they sometimes have pork loins steaks pre-cut for about 10 cents more per lb. Kitchen shears will do the job quite nicely, though. I cut off 2 lb. portions for nice roasts and slice the rest about an inch thick. Then I wrap with freezer paper and mark the weight right on the paper. Bag them in ziplocs and mark the date, then freeze.

Pork Pozole:
15 oz. can hominy, drained
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
10 oz. can green enchilada sauce
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 lbs. pork loin
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
1 Tbs. lime juice
Combine hominy, tomatoes, sauce, onion, garlic and cumin in a crock pot. Top with pork and spoon hominy mix on top of it. Cover and ook on high 2 1/2 hrs. or until pork is done. Place pork on cutting board and chop coarsely. Return to crock pot with lime juice and cilantro (dried parsley works in emergencies) and stir well. Serve with tortilla chips, lime wedges, or avacado. My kiddos like tomatoey stuff with sour cream stirred in.

Pork Dijon:
4 pork steaks, 1" thick, fat removed if you please (shears)
1 Tbs. oil (I always use olive oil for health, but you will get a smoky kitchen as it has a very low smoking point temperature-wise)
6 to 8 green onions, sliced and separated into green and white parts
1/4 c. chicken broth (I sometimes use water and granules)
3/4 c. evaporated milk (freeze the other half-a-can in a ziploc!)
1/4 c. dijon mustard
I learned on Rachael Ray that cold meat seizes up when it hits a hot pan and becomes tough. Therefore, I advise you to let your meat sit at room temperature for 30 min. prior to cooking, if you can stand it and keep little ones away. Set the pork on paper towels to dry (moisture causes spitting oil) and pepper them a bit. In a skillet, heat oil at md. high. Lay in your steaks and give them a few minutes (4-5) on each side until nice and brown and crispy! (or done through). Remove to a plate and cover loosely with foil. They say this keeps in heat and helps redistribute the juices. Next, saute the white part of the onions in the same pan for 1 min. Remember to scrape up those flavorful brown bits! Add the broth and cook about 3 min. until it has boiled down to about half. Add the milk and mustard and boil for a minute until it thickens. I also add the juices that have settled on the pork plate. Top pork with sauce and sprinkle with green onions. Beautiful! And my kids eat it. Serve with zucchini slices sauteed in olive oil.We love zucchini sprinkled with parmesan and pepper. My 2 year old literally can't get enough. I am secretly proud when she asks for more...

Apple Pork & Sweet Potatoes:
1 pork roast (2-3 lbs.)
1 lg. yellow onion, sliced
3 sweet potatoes, sliced
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 quart apple juice
Place roast in crockpot, salt and pepper it. Place onions around the sides and top with potatoes. Sprinkle on thyme and pour in apple juice, as much as fits in your crockpot. Cook on high 4-5 hours, or low 6-7, until pork is done. Serve. I have been know to thicken some of the juices with bean flour to make a nice gravy.

Kahlua Pork & Sweet Potatoes:
2 lb. Pork Roast
1 Tbs. Coarse salt
2 Tbs. liquid smoke
Poke or slash roast nicely and place in crock pot. Sprinkle with salt and liquid smoke. Cook on high 4 hrs, low 6 hrs, until done. Serve with sweet potatoes, canned or not. I like to make a bean gravy from the can syrup (or apple juice), pork drippings and bean flour. This is like a trip to Hawaii, I'm sure of it.

No comments: